Traveling with a child is not just an exciting experience but unpredictable too. But if you are traveling with the United Airlines, then you do not have to worry about anything because this Chicago-based carrier is committed to making the whole process easy for you. However, it is important for you to review the United Airlines child policy and its related aspects to make your upcoming journey safe, smooth, and comfortable. And to learn more about the same, you can keep on reading this post as we have covered all the necessary aspects here.
Child Policy of United Airlines
As per the child policy of United Airlines, kids under 2 years of age can travel without a separate booking but within the USA, US Virgin Island, and Puerto Rico. To travel with an infant internationally, you will need to book a ticket for them (it is subject to fares and some taxes). While traveling, you will need to indicate that you are traveling with a child or lap infant, irrespective of the destination or route chosen.
When it comes to lap infants traveling between the USA and Canada, from/ to Mexico to/ from the USA or Canada will only require paying the applicable taxes on the booking. As per the United Airlines child lap policy kids traveling internationally without a ticket will be charged 10% of the adult’s airfare at the time of booking.
When it comes to the infant fares, it will cost you somewhere between USD20 and USD250 (taxes are not included), depending on the cabin class and destination chosen. Please note that a child who has completed his second birthday must have a bought ticket to travel on the seat. In case you have any doubt or question about the United Airlines child seat policy, you can call the United Customer Contact Center on 1-866-918-1914 for professional assistance and help.
United Airlines Child Seat Policy
Some aircraft of United Airlines only allowed one lap kid per seat section. And it is because of the allocation of oxygen masks. Kids who are not lap infants but unable to sit upright should be carried by the passengers in an FAA-approved car seat. This seat should be properly secured. Passengers are not allowed to hold the infant seat in their lap. Lastly, as per the United Airlines child travel policy, you cannot place the seat in the exit row or immediately after or before the exit row.
Child Travel Rules of United Airlines
While traveling with kids, the airline will offer different car seat options. Please take a look at the following to learn more about the same:
- Car Seats: Passengers can only use the Child Restraint System (CRS) i.e. Child Aviation Restraint System (CARES) approved by the FAA. However, before using this system, you should ensure that kids between 22 and 44 pounds weight can use it.
- Bassinets: Apart from this, bassinets can also be used but only for international routes. The dimensions of the bassinets should be 74cm x 27cm. Moreover, it can only hold infants who have 10 kg or less weight. Always remember that bassinets cannot be used during landing, takeoff, etc. If you do not have bassinets, then do not worry as the airline will make the necessary arrangements. You are just required contacting the customer support of United Airlines in advance.
IMPORTANT: Bassinets are subject to availability. So, request for a bassinet as soon as you book your flight tickets.
- Wagons and Strollers: You can check a stroller or folding wagon to your final travel destination without paying any additional amount. This is also available for those who have booked a basic economy class ticket. You can even bring these items on board but you have to keep them in the overhead bin space or under the space available in your front seat. In case you have a non-folding wagon or large stroller, it cannot be checked at the airport’s gate. It means you will need to connect with the United Representative to seek help.
REMEMBER: Collapsible cribs, pack ‘n’ plays, and other similar products will not be considered as transportation items and cannot be checked at the gate. If you are bringing them, you will need to check these items like checked baggage.
Amenities Provided to Infants
United Airlines is a passenger-centric air operator. Hence, it takes proper care of every traveler including infants. Therefore, as per the United Airlines child policy, you will be provided with the following amenities:
- Food: The airline offers ‘Snack Box’ for purchase on almost every route. You can also bring your child’s favorite snack or food on the flight.
- Changing Tables: If you are traveling on Boeing 757-200, 757-300, 787, 777, and 797, then you will be provided with the changing tables. You can ask the flight attendant for help.
Important Tips to Keep in Mind while Traveling with Infants
We all know that traveling with kids is not easy. Therefore, the airline has highlighted the following useful tips so that your travel can become an easy-breezy process:
- You should bring certain items such as small toys, story books, coloring books, a tablet with pre-downloaded videos or games to keep your child engaged and entertained throughout the journey
- You can give your kid something to drink or eat while the flight is landing or taking off to ease ear pain
- Bring enough supplies i.e. food, water, diapers, etc. so you do not have to face any trouble during the flight
United Airlines Unaccompanied Child Policy
The airline is committed towards providing young flyers or unaccompanied minors with the comfortable and safe journey experience. Whether your child is going to meet a family member or flying to attend a summer camp, you can rest assured about their safety by booking their seat in United Airlines. As per the United Airlines unaccompanied child policy, this air operator accepts kids between the age of 5 and 14 years.
If the child is over 14 years of age but up to 17 and they are traveling alone, then they can opt to the United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service. Under this service, they will be provided with the following perks:
- Free snacks
- Priority boarding
- Assistance throughout the journey
Unaccompanied Minor Travel Rules
Due to safety reasons, unaccompanied young travelers need to follow certain rules. And some of them have been mentioned below:
- The flight of the unaccompanied minor should nonstop
- The unaccompanied minor services of United Airlines cannot be used on the codeshare and partner flights
- This service is not available for connecting flights
- The unaccompanied minor services is available on United or United Express operated flights
- Kids who are below 5 years of age cannot travel along or as unaccompanied minor even if they have an elder unaccompanied minor
- The cost for the unaccompanied minor services will be USD150 for one-way trip for every 2 kids
Look at the following table to know more about the service fee for availing of the United’s unaccompanied minor services:
|No. of Unaccompanied Minors||One-Way Service Fees||Round Trip Service Fees|
|1||USD 150||USD 300|
|2||USD 150||USD 300|
|3||USD 300||USD 600|
|4||USD 300||USD 600|
|5||USD 450||USD 900|
|6||USD 450||USD 900|
How to Book a Ticket for Unaccompanied Minor?
Since minors do not know how to book a ticket, you can do it for them in the following couple of ways:
Book via Official Website
- Visit the official website of United Airlines
- On the homepage, you will see the booking form
- Just opt for the advanced search option and simply change the “number of adults to 0 (zero)” from the default setting of “1”
- Now, choose the number of kids traveling as unaccompanied minor based on the age
- Do not forget to fill out other requested details to complete the booking process
Via a phone call
In case you are unable to book a flight ticket for your unaccompanied minor online, do not worry as you can do it via a phone call. Just dial the number of the customer contact center of United Airlines and provide them with all the necessary details so that they can book a spot for your child. Please keep in mind that you will need to pay an extra amount of USD25 as a booking service charge if you book through the customer service center.
In a Nutshell
So, these are the important details of United Airlines child policy and unaccompanied minor rules. By reading and knowing the different aspects of this policy, you can make the next trip of your child with United Airlines as smooth and comfortable as possible. For any query or doubt, you should always feel free to reach out to the customer care center of the airline. You can also browse through the official website to be well-versed with this policy and related rules.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Related United Airlines Child Policy
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about United Airlines child travel policy and related aspects: