Pets are an integral part of any family. And when it comes to travelling, you surely do not want to leave your loving furry friend alone. But good news is that – if you are travelling on United Airlines, then you can travel with them with great ease. Do not know how? Keep on reading to learn more about the United Airlines dog policy.
United Airlines Dog Policy In-Cabin
First and foremost understand what does in-cabin pets mean! In-cabin pets basically are domesticated dogs that can easily fit in the travel pet carrier and placed under the front seat. However, in-cabin dogs are not permitted on the flights to or from Hawaii and certain international cities. Therefore, you must connect with the customer support to learn more about the United Airlines dog in-cabin policy.
In-Cabin Dog Allowance
As per the United Airlines policy on dogs, you will need to pay an amount of USD125 for a one-way trip along with an additional USD125 for each stopover if it is over 4 hours within the country and above 24 hours outside the country. However, you must keep one thing in mind that United Airlines service dog policy is different to in-cabin rules. We will discuss the same further so continue reading.
Requirements for Your In-Cabin Dogs
While travelling in the flights of United Airlines with your dog in-cabin, you must keep the following important points of United Airlines dog travel policy in mind:
- For domestic routes, the minimum age of your dog should be at least two months and for international travels, the age must be 4 months (it is because of the rabies vaccinations requirements)
- Your pet dog cannot travel with an unaccompanied minor
- You will need to book an extra ticket if you want to travel with an additional pet to an international route by paying an extra USD125 for one-way
- You must keep the carrier of your dog under the seat throughout the journey
- As per the United Airlines large dog policy, you can opt for the PetSafe Program of United Airlines if your dog does not fit well in the kennel
- No oxygen facility is provided to dogs in case of an emergency
To travel with your loving dog, you will need certain documents and some of them have been mentioned below:
- Vaccination and related documents
- Health declarations
- Every state and country may have different entry rules for dogs. So, read everything beforehand to avoid unwanted hassles
Rules for Kennels and Carriers
The carrier chosen by you for your dog must be approved by the concerned authorities. In addition to this, it should have a soft-sided or hard-sided kennel. It should fit well under the front seat. Now, check out the following to learn more about the dimensions:
- Carriers with Hard-Sided Kennels: 44cm x 30cm x 19cm
- Carriers with Soft-Sided Kennels: 46cm x 28cm x 28cm
Please keep in mind that the carrier should have enough space so that your dog can move around, stand, and sit comfortably during the journey. In case you have any doubt or question about the United Airlines dog policy, you can call the customer contact centre on 1800-864-8331.
Book Your Trip with an in-Cabin Dog
To travel with your pet, you will indicate it ahead of time. You can also do it whole booking your tickets online. For this, you can indicate the number of passengers and follow the on-screen prompts under the option ‘Pets in Cabin’. Through this, you can either book a new trip/ticket with your dog or simply add one in your existing reservation.
IMPORTANT: This in-cabin dog policy is only for the flights that are operated by United Airlines and United Express. For codeshare and connecting flights, you are advised to check their respective policy.
Rules for in-Cabin Dog when at the Airport
When you reach the airport with your dog, you are advised to connect with the customer service representative of United Airlines to collect the yellow bag tag that will need to be attached with the kennel of your pet. Besides, here are the important points of United Airlines dog travel policy to remember while boarding:
- You must keep your dog in the kennel with closed door at all times whether you are at the airport, in the boarding area, or in the plane
- The kennel of your pet should be kept under the front seat
IMPORTANT: Dogs from the higher risk of rabies destinations are temporarily barred from entering the country. So, check with the airline to avoid unnecessary delays and hassles.
United Airlines Service Dog Policy
The policy for service dogs allowed the trained ones to travel with qualified passengers with special needs. However, flights only operated by United Airlines and United Express will accept service dogs. Here are some important points if you are travelling with a service dog:
- Irrespective of the type or breed of the dog, the minimum age should be more than 4 months old
- The dog should be trained to perform tasks or work to help the qualified person with special needs
- Maximum up to 2 dogs can travel with the qualified person with disabilities
Before travelling, you will need to fill out certain forms such as the US Department of Transportation Air Transportation Service Animal Training and Behaviour Attestation Form and the US Department of Transportation Service Animal Relief Attestation Form or Relief Form at least 8 hours or more prior to the scheduled departure.
NOTE: United Airlines only accept service dogs that are certified and trained. Dog trainers can also travel with the in-training service dog to assist the traveller with special needs.
United Airlines Therapy Dog Policy
Therapy dogs are those that are registered and trained by a reputed therapy firm to visit hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc. Please keep in mind that they are not recognized as service dogs. To travel with a therapy dog, you are advised to connect with the airline to learn more about the standard pet-related rules and restrictions.
United Airlines Dog Policy Cargo
Being a proud member of the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association, United Airlines will provide you with the expert shipping service for your pet dog. So, you can opt for the PetSafe program as the airline is offering this service to almost 300 domestic and international routes. You can count on the customer service centre of this Chicago-based carrier if you have any doubt or question about the United Airlines dog flying policy.
Keeping pets as comfortable and safe as possible is the topmost priority of United Airlines. So, you can plan your trip with your little loving pet dog on the flights of United Airlines. However, it is advised to collect all the necessary details related to United Airlines Pet Policy to avoid unwanted hassles on the travel day. For this, you can browse through the official website or simply connect with the customer support via a phone call.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Related to United Airlines Dog Policy
Look at the following to know the answers to some frequently asked questions about United Airlines dog travel policy: