If you have travel plans with United Airlines sooner or later and amid COVID-19 crisis, then sometimes it is good to cancel your reservations. The airline is offering the facility to change your trip without paying any additional amount. In case you do not want to change it, you can cancel it and request refunds. However, you will need to understand the United Airlines refund policy as well as cancellation rules to keep everything under your control. Below are the details about the same so keep on reading to learn more about the policies that will apply to your specific situation.
United Airlines Flight Refund Policy Options
Before we talk about the refund policy for United Airlines, let us shed some light on the refund options. If your journey has been impacted by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, then based on the severity, you may be eligible to get a refund.
In case you have not cancelled your flight tickets yet, go to the MY TRIPS option. Now, cancel your tickets and request refunds. Depending on the disruption and type of tickets purchased, you may be provided with a refund or flight credits for future bookings.
If you are already done with the United Airlines Ticket Cancellation, then you will need to fill out the refund form. Once you are done with it, the airline will connect with you. The United representative will ask you for some details to validate everything and check your eligibility for a refund. If you qualify for the same, then you will be provided with the refund as per the United Airlines ticket refund policy in the form of payment method chosen.
NOTE: The airline will take up to 7 days (business) to process your refund request. However, this duration may vary for different international destinations. So, check with the airline properly to avoid any confusion.
United Airlines Refundable Ticket Policy
Before you cancel your flight tickets, have a look at the following important points of United Airlines ticket refund policy:
- As per United Airlines refund policy 24-hour, you can cancel your tickets for free. However, your scheduled departure should not be before one week at least
- There is no United Airlines refund policy for basic economy. It means you will not be able to change or cancel your tickets for refunds. But yes, you can do it for free within 24 hours of the purchase
- Based on the region or country of the billing address, different policies will be applied on your booking. For instance, Colombia, Taiwan, France, Argentina, etc. have different rules. So, check with the airline before moving further
- You can also request to get a refund by filing out the online form if you do not want to use the travel credits. The airline will review your request and determine your eligibility for refunds
- Most United Airlines fares are non-refundable and will not be provided with any voluntary refunds. So, make sure you connect with the airline to get detailed information about everything
- Your refunds will only be provided in the original form of the payment that you have chosen
United Airlines Cancellation Policy Refund
As per United Airlines cancelled flight refund policy, you can have the following options if your flight is cancelled due to any reason from the air operator’s end:
- You can request a refund
- Change your reservation for the alternate flights
- Get travel credits by postponing your travel
United Airlines flight cancellation refund policy will also offer the compensation benefits to its passengers in case of the following:
- If the flight is departing from Iceland, Switzerland, European Union, or Norway and delayed by 5 hours or more, then you will be provided with a refund and compensation for the same
- If the flight is delayed by 3 hours or more due to any reason that was within the control of the airline, then you can get compensation
- You can cancel for free and get a refund if you are doing it due to the death of the ticket holder & close member family, jury duty, or certain types of serious ailments
United Airlines Refund Policy for Baggage Fees
Refund requests may be submitted if you have checked and paid one or more bags and do not travel due to the cancellation, delay, change in the flight’s schedule, or schedule irregularity. To get a refund, you will need to submit the refund form. The airline will evaluate your request and proceed with the refunds if you are eligible. It will take up to 20 business days.
Refund Policy for Delayed and Cancelled Flights
When there are complications like air traffic control, climatic issues, or any mechanical reason responsible for delays or cancellations, you will be eligible for a refund or receive travel credit as per the United Airlines cancelled flight refund policy or United Airlines delayed flight refund policy. However, certain rules will be applied. So, check with the airline to learn more about the same.
How to Request a Refund?
To request a refund, you will need to cancel your flight ticket first. Once you do it, you will need to do the following:
- Go to the official website of United Airlines
- Now, fill out the refund form available and submit it
- Once your form is submitted, the airline will assess your request to determine your eligibility
- When they are done with it, they will initiate the process
Remember: Before you submit your refund request, you are advised to connect with the customer support of United Airlines to know if there is any additional rule applicable on your reservation.
The Bottom Line
These are the essential aspects of United Airlines refund policy. Knowing the policies of the airline in which you are going to travel is important because unexpected things may occur at any time. Since you cannot have control over certain things, knowing how to get a refund in case of unavoidable circumstances will reduce a burden. If you have any doubt or question about the refund policy of United Airlines, then you are advised to get in touch with the customer service centre via a phone call or you can browse through the official website to read more.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Related to United Airlines Refund Policy
Look at the following to know the answers to some frequently asked questions about the refund policy of United Airlines: