United Airlines is a leading scheduled flight service provider in the country. The airline is best known for offering flexible policies and outstanding customer services. When it comes to United Airlines baggage domestic policy and United Airlines baggage policy for international travel, it is quite basic as you will not find so many surprises in it. Even though the fees for oversized or overweight bags are a little bit higher, you cannot deny the excellence of United Airlines. So, if you have booked your tickets and want to know more about United Airlines baggage policy, then you are at the right spot because we will explain everything here. Continue reading for more.
Carry-On Baggage Policy for United Airlines
The airline has quite an amazing carry-on United Airlines baggage policy. However, you will need to pay attention to several things. For instance, if you are traveling with lithium batteries that are installed in any carry-on or even checked baggage, then you are suggested to remove it. However, you can on-board them later. Please note that if your smart bag does not have any removable battery, your boarding may be denied by the airline.
What a Passenger can bring on Board?
While traveling, it is more than important for you to understand the United Airlines carry-on baggage weight allowance international flights as well as domestic ones to avoid unnecessary hassles later. Irrespective of the fare chosen, you can bring one carry-on, one personal item, and other special stuff on-board. Check out the following for more details:
- Carry-on Bags: Carry-on baggage you are traveling with should fit well in your overhead bin. When it comes to the dimensions, it should be up to 22cm x 35cm x 56cm including wheels and handles.
- Personal Items: This includes a hand purse, small briefcase, laptop, camera, etc. No matter what you choose to bring on-board, it should fit under your front seat. If we talk about the dimensions, then it should not be more than 22cm x 25cm x 43cm.
- Special Stuff: Besides one carry-on baggage and personal item, you can bring some special stuff that include the following:
- An umbrella
- A jacket
- Merchandise or eatables you have purchased from the airport
- Reading material
- FAA approved safety seat or child restraint system
- Assistive devices like cane, crutches, wheelchair, portable oxygen concentrator, medical devices as per the prescriptions, and so on
- Per carrier (after paying the mandatory service charge)
- breast pump
- diaper bag
Please note that you must pay attention to the dimensions of the stuff that you are planning to carry with you. Additionally, you may require paying additional fees for these items. So, check with the customer support team of United Airlines for detailed information about this aspect to know the United Airlines international baggage policy and/or United Airlines domestic baggage policy.
Carry-On Baggage Policy for United Airlines and its Exceptions
As you already know that you can fly with 1 carry-on bag, 1 personal item, and other stuff, there are some exceptions too. Look at the following for more:
Basic Economy: According to the United Airlines basic economy baggage policy, you are allowed to bring only one personal item. In case you bring a carry-on bag, you will require checking it at the gate. Additionally, you will have to pay the applicable fee along with gate handling charges of US$25. Some more exceptions of United Airlines baggage policy for the basic economy have been listed below (one of the following will be applied):
- If you are traveling on a trans-Atlantic flight from or to the USA, Central America, Mexico, South America, Panama, and El Salvador
- Companions or Mileage Plus Members traveling on the same booking
- If you are traveling on a trans-Pacific flight from or to the USA
- Primary card members
For these conditions, you can follow the normal United Airlines baggage policy for carry-on bags. In case of confusion, you are suggested to connect with the airline.
United Airlines Baggage Allowance Policy for United Express Flights
The regional partners of United Airlines typically use small aircraft. It means you will get less space in the overhead bin to place your carry-on bag. Sometimes, larger carry-on and roller bags won’t fit well in this space. Check out the following table to learn more about the baggage policy designed for United Express Flights:
|Name of the Carrier||Baggage Policy for Carry-On Bags||Details|
|· SkyWest· GoJet Airlines· Republic Airways· Mesa Airlines||1:1 carrier||You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item|
|· CommutAir· Air Wisconsin||Carry-on bags are not allowed||You can only bring only 1 personal item.If you bring carry-on bags, then they will be collected at the gate only and green-tagged to put in the cargo compartment.|
A notable point here is that the carry-on rules may differ from one flight to another operated by the partners or codeshare partners of United Airlines. So, gather full details before moving ahead.
Important Points to Keep in Mind
Want to make your journey smooth and less complicated? Check out the following on which you need to pay special attention while packing:
- Gels, Aerosols, and Liquid Items: The “Transportation Security Administration (TSA)’ of the United States has some restrictions when it comes to packing gels, aerosols, and other liquids in the carry-on bag. You must keep these items in a leak-proof container of 100ml or less. Additionally, these containers should be put inside the liter size or quart size sealable yet clear bag.
- Powder-based Items: The airline suggests its passengers to keep these types of items in their checked bags only. It is because the TSA does not give permission to travel with these types of substances having weight 350ml or more in their carry-on bags. However, some exceptions are there – for instance, you can bring baby formula, duty-free, human remains, and medically prescribed powders with you in a sealed yet clear bag.
- Music Instruments and Tools (as carry-on): Passengers are allowed to bring a guitar, violin, board, and/or other small musical instruments packed in a durable case. If you put the item in the overhead pin, it will be counted as a carry-on bag or if you choose to keep in under the front seat, it will be considered as a personal item.
- Nursing Mothers: If you are a nursing mom or traveling with one, then you will be allowed to bring breast pumps on board as a special item. For detailed information about these items, connect with the airline.
United Airlines Checked Baggage Policy
As per the policy of United Airlines, all checked baggage should adhere to a maximum weight of 23kg for Premium Plus and Economy fares and up to 32kg for First and Business classes and have an overall dimension of 158cm.
Checked Baggage Fees
The checked baggage fee depends on the route and fare class chosen. So, look at the table below to understand more:
|Route||Economy Class (Full, Plus, and Basic)||Premium Plus Class||Business Class||First Class|
|Within the USA. Central America, Canada, and the Caribbean (Cuba is not included)||First Bag: US$30Second Bag: US$40Third & More Bags: US$150||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$150||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$150||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$150|
|USA to or from Cuba||First Bag: US$30Second Bag: US$100Third & More Bags: US$500||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$500||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$500||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$500|
|USA to or from Mexico||First Bag: US$30Second Bag: US$55Third & More Bags: US$180||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$180||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$180||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$180|
|USA to or from India/ Middle East/ Europe||First Bag: FREE (US$60 for basic economy tickets)Second Bag: US$100Third & More Bags: US$200||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$200||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$200||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$200|
|USA to or from East Asia/ New Zealand/ Australia||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREE (US$100 only for New Zealand)Third & More Bags: US$200||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$200||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$200||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$200|
|USA to or from South America||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREE (US$40 for Ecuador and US$100 for Colombia)Third & More Bags: US$150||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$150||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$150||First Bag: FREESecond Bag: FREEThird & More Bags: US$150|
For detailed information about the United Airlines checked baggage policy for international and domestic routes, connect with the customer care of the airline.
United Airlines Baggage Policy and Fees for Excess Baggage
Even though the airline has a smart calculator to check the fee, it is always good to have bags as per the given dimensions. In case your bag is beyond that limit i.e. oversized or overweight, you will need to pay the following amount, depending on the destination chosen:
|Flight’s Route||Oversized Bags (from 61 to 115 inches linear)||Overweight Bag between 51-70lbs||Overweight Bag between 71-100lbs|
|Within USA and Canada||USD200||USD100||USD200|
|USA to or from Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel and Merida are not included)||USD200-USD400* (depending on your departure airport)||USD100||USD200|
|USA to or from Cancun, Cozumel and Merida||USD200-USD400 (depending on your departure airport)||USD100||USD200|
|USA to or from Caribbean (Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Cuba are not included)||USD200-USD400 (depending on your departure airport)||USD200||USD400|
|USA to or from Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands||USD200||USD100||USD200|
|USA to or from Cuba||USD400||USD400||USD600|
|USA to or from Central America (Panama, Guatemala and El Salvador are not included)||USD200-USD300 (depending on your departure airport)||USD200||USD400|
|USA to or from Panama||USD200-USD300 (depending on your departure airport)||USD100 (USD200 will be charged if you are departing from Washington DC)||USD200 (USD400 will be charged if you are departing from Washington DC)|
|USA to or from Guatemala||USD250||USD250||USD450|
|USA to or from El Salvador||USD300||USD300||USD500|
|USA to or from South America (Brazil is not included)||USD200-USD300 (depending on your departure airport)||USD200||USD400|
|USA to or from Brazil||USD200||USD100 (USD200 will be charged if you are departing from Washington DC)||USD200 (USD400 will be charged if you are departing from Washington DC)|
|USA to or from India, Middle East, Europe, and Africa Europe/India/Middle East/Africa||USD200||USD200||USD400|
|USA to or from New Zealand, East Asia, and Australia||USD200||USD200||USD400|
Connect with us to Learn More about United Airline Baggage Policy
Have questions? Do not worry! We are here with a team of highly skilled and dedicated professionals to answer all your questions and clarify all your doubts. So, keep all your worries aside and put your faith in us to enjoy the best support services in the country to understand United Airlines baggage policy in the best way possible.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Related to United Airlines Baggage Policy
Some of the frequently asked questions about carry-on and checked United Airlines baggage policy for domestic and international routes have been answered below: